Art, Shadows, and Light in the Darkness...

Friday, March 6, 2009

A walkthrough part 3;

or progress, progress, progress; or resin is really fun stuff.

compact-11

I'm continuing to move along with this piece at a pretty good pace (usually a good sign for me). The metal inner piece is now fastened over the man's face, and I've collaged "VOL. IV" inside behind the small lid (I just love old cotton press-type pages). Resin has been poured in the top half of the compact, and I don't know if you can tell, but I have embedded small silver microbeads across the surface, small black glass beads along the inside edge, and a carnival glass Art Deco gemstone near the man's eye. At certain angles, the microbeads catch the light just right and sparkle like small stars. I have also embedded a transparency of the orbit of the Earth over the man's face to further expand on the space, star, heavens theme.

compact-12

Next, I started work on the bottom part; as you can see I've cut an opening into the lid, and I've collaged part of an old calendar and a tintype of a young lady into the bottom section.

compact-13

Here is what that part will look like when in the bottom of the compact.

On the outside front of the case, I've riveted on a drawer pull ornament, and collaged an eye inside the opening. Around the ornament, I have added gold leaf to give some shine to the front of the piece, and I've started the "weathering" process on the whole of the outside.

compact-14

Everything is continuing to come along nicely, by the next update, I should have the interior almost completely finished.

The beginnings of this piece can be found here.

The second part here.

-M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know how I first found your blog but I'm glad I did. It's always great to find another that has an affinity for "stuff". Thanks for sharing your amazing creative process, perhaps I can find a bit of inspiration to go forward with more of my own.

Candles and Ghosts said...

Go for it- that's how I got started, a little at a time. Sometimes its better to see only the next step than the entire road laid out before you. -M