Art, Shadows, and Light in the Darkness...

Monday, March 16, 2009

Adrift Part 3.

The next stage of this piece is now finished- in these photos, I have included both the before and after-and I have started the work on the chain, which I should have finished by the next post.

adrift-3

I have assembled all of the parts; paper has been collaged over the photo of the lady (after she was embedded in a layer of casting resin-I wanted there to be a little depth between her and the paper), and I have glued small silver micro beads along the outside to hide the paper’s edges. Over top of the book page I have spread a thin layer of “snow” glitter which is actually ground up mica flakes that are semi-transparent. I like that it helps to hide some of the wording, and gives the piece some nice sparkle.

adrift-4

This image looks essentially the same as the last one, except now another layer of resin has been poured to cover the beads, glitter, and paper, and I have also collaged the word “virtue” over the page. The text was taken from an old 19th century book. You can also see (a little better) the shadow which has been created along the edges of paper near the woman’s eyes- this comes from the paper being raised about a 1/16th of an inch above the photo thanks to the first layer of casting resin.

adrift-5

This last image shows the beginnings of the chain which I am making from annealed stainless steel. I plan to add some very special additions to this chain which I won’t give away just yet. You can see it completed in the next post.

-M

The beginning of this piece can be found here.

No comments: