Art, Shadows, and Light in the Darkness...

Friday, July 3, 2009

Watermarks and Illuminations

I was fortunate enough to pick up some beautiful early 19th century receipts recently, and I was thinking of using them as pieces in my jewelry.

watermark-1

The details and penmanship are truly something to behold.

watermark-2

However, the paper is wonderfully thin, and I think my favorite part of these may actually be the watermarks.

watermark-3

I think I’ll scan them instead of sacrificing them for art, or perhaps I’ll use them in a lightbox.

watermark-4

What is a lightbox you say? Lightboxes are hand-built illuminated pieces of art that I have been making for about 15 years. What I love about them is the depth and layering the pieces have, something that isn’t quite the same on a piece on canvas or panel.

Light-Based-Art-Pieces

You can see a number of pieces I have created over the years here.

installation-page

One other random thing-

crow

this crow sat out on our windowsill yesterday for about 15 minutes, discussing the world situation with any other birds who would listen… then again, maybe he just liked having his picture taken.

-M

No comments: