Art, Shadows, and Light in the Darkness...

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Good Friends

sacred-heart

You're looking at one of my favorite treasures in all of the world- it's a Sacred Heart piece made from an old Victorian paper cut sealed under bubble glass that measures about 2" x 3". I finally got around to fixing it yesterday. The piece on the right is the old antique bezel that it was in, and on the left is the new brass bezel I have placed it in. I've added a bail so that I can wear it on a leather necklace.

The reason I treasure it is because of where it comes from. As you know from my other posts, I collect a lot of antique found objects and ephemera, and I got this piece about 15 years ago from two of my dearest antiquing friends- Nancy and her husband Norm. They sold wares at a flea market I go to in Charlotte for more than 30 years- when I first met them they were already in their late 70's. I'd see them once a month, and we'd sit in their booth for hours, while Nancy told story after story of their younger years. Meanwhile, Norm would just politely agree while going around rearranging the booth that Nancy had just arranged. At first I went, just to dig through the old photos they sold, but eventually I was just going so I could spend time with them- it was truly like having a 3rd set of Grandparents.

They both passed away a few years ago, and boy do I miss them...if there is flea market in Heaven I'm sure they are there. It will be nice to catch up when I see them again.

-M

No comments: